Bir, Himachal Pradesh – 2019’s Paragliding season in Bir Billing began earlier this month and is attracting lot of tourists who wish to embark upon this adventure.
Are you fond of doing paragliding in India? If yes, then you should plan for visiting Bir billing which is a suitable place for doing paragliding for adventure loving people. Many Bir billing paragliding packages are available online and one could select a suitable according to one’s budget. The best time to visit Bir Billing for paragliding is from the months of March to May and during September-November. Hence, Bir Billing Paragliding season for 2019 has begun and one must ensure to visit here before the monsoon. Also, bir billing itinerary for paragliding should be carried to the place after preparing a complete list.
Bir is a beautiful village in the Himachal Pradesh state of India at an altitude of 2000m. The lower hills in Bir makes it a perfect place for paragliding and a huge number of people visit this place every year. Bir is known for various Buddhist monasteries and Chokling Monastery is popular in Bir as it has a large Stupa and a statue of Padmasambhava. Just 14 km away from Bir is another place called Billing and the two places are connected with each other via a rock road. Every year in the month of October, the Paragliding competition, ‘Para Gliding Pre-world Cup’ is organized at Bir-Billing. One can reach Bir Billing in many ways as mentioned below and can select a hotel from the various bir billing hotels available online.
Different Ways to Reach Bir Billing for Paragliding
- Flights – One of the easiest ways to reach bir billing for paragliding is through airplane. Various flight services work from Delhi airport to Dharamshala airport with an average fare of 5,000. After reaching Dharamshala airport, one can reach Bir by hiring a taxi and it would take just 2 hours to cover the distance from Dharamshala airport to Bir. Most of the Bir Billing Paragliding packages provide the facility to go by air to ensure comfort during the journey.
- Road Transport – If you desire to reach Bir via road then you could do so by bus or taxi. You need to take deluxe or Volvo bus from Delhi for Dharamshala and Manali. You need to get off at Kangra and then take a local bus or hire a taxi to reach Bir. The other way is to hire a taxi directly from Delhi and it will land you directly to Bir but this will take time around 12 hours.
- Train – Take a train from Delhi and it will land you at Pathankot. Then, hire a taxi to reach Bir and it would take around 4 hours.
Other Things to do and Places to Visit in Bir Billing
- Mountain Biking – One of the best things to do in Bir Billing is Mountain Biking. You could hire a bike for this purpose at a cost of Rs. 500 for 2-4 hours or Rs. 1000 for 4-6 hours. There are various different routes for mountain biking within an average time period of 5 hours. The first route is from the paragliding landing area to Palpung Sherabling monastery and this distance of 12 Km could be traveled in 4 hours. Also, you could go from paragliding landing area to Bhatty road to Bir to mahatma kuttiya to Chougan chowk to Landing area. Another way is from Paragliding landing area to Sansal to Mared to Camp Oak view to Chamba road to Bir to Chougan chowk to Paragliding landing area. This would approximately take 5-6 hours and you have to travel a distance of 16 km. People who opt for bir billing paragliding course love to enjoy mountain biking as it involves adventures.
- Sightseeing – There are plenty of places around Bir Billing for sightseeing. Some of them are the 9th Century Baijnath Shiva Temple, Palpung Sherabling Monastery, Barot, Prashar Lake, 140-year-old Mahatma at Bir, Andreata, and Oldest Tulsi plant at Sansal Mukut Nath Temple.
- Hiking or Trekking – Hiking or day trekking is another option which is left with the visitors to enjoy in Bir Billing. One can go to Tatwani which is known for hot water spring and there is a govt built pool for bathing. Also, there is a sunset point at the village Ghodnala from the house of a shepherd. One needs to trek from Bir to reach the house of a shepherd after passing through several places to view the sunset.
Safety Measures to take for Paragliding in Bir Billing
Paragliding in Bir Billing offers great experiences of paragliding because of the favorable conditions. With Kangra Valley in front and Dhauladhar range of the Himalayas in the backdrop, there is a presence of thermals as well as smooth winds for paragliding. Not only does it facilitates safe take-off but also provides amazing views during paragliding flight. However, paragliding being a risky adventurous activity, there are certain safety measures which every visitor should take in order to minimize the risks during the activity.
Experience and Expertise of Paragliding Team
The experience of a paragliding team is the most important factor which determines the safety of a person during paragliding activity. While looking for Bir Billing Paragliding packages, a check should be made regarding the experience as well as the expertise of a paragliding team. Also, while opting for Bir Billing paragliding course, it is important to check the license of the leader of a paragliding team. The paragliding team with less experienced members would charge less money in comparison to others with more experience. But you should look for an expert paragliding team with an experience of around 10 years.
Condition of Paragliding Equipments
Various paragliding equipments such as paragliders, carabineer, harness, a helmet should be in good condition. Most of the accidents occur due to the overuse of these paragliding equipments beyond their life. An experienced paragliding team would check their paragliding equipments from time to time and replace these when the time comes. Bir Billing Paragliding height is over 2000m which leads to damage to these paragliding equipments.