The joints are important parts of the body because they help in movement. However, specific diseases like arthritis cause the joint to swell and inflame, resulting in pain and immobility, effects that a skilled Mason chiropractor can help treat.
What is arthritis?
This joint disorder is associated with inflammation. Arthralgia, the medical term for joint pain, soon follows. Oligoarthritis is inflammation in two or three joints, and polyarthritis involves more than four joints.
What are the different types of arthritis?
The different forms of arthritis differ in root cause. One form arises due to joint degeneration from wear and tear, while the other develops from inflammation.
This type of arthritis involves the wear and tear of cartilage which cushions the bones from wear and tear. When cartilage is lost, bones usually rub together, causing pain and may cause further deterioration of bone mass, which may result in the development of bone spurs around the affected joint or cause painful sensations that may hinder movement.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
This autoimmune disease causes immune cells to attack healthy parts of the joints in the body, causing them to become painful from inflammation or swelling. The complications associated with rheumatoid arthritis may further cause decreased balance and deformity in severe cases.
What are the parts of a joint?
The components that make up the joint have specific functions, including:
- Cartilage: This connective tissue acts as a cushion between the bones, inhibiting friction.
- Synovial membrane: This fluid provides lubrication to the joints.
- Tendons: The part that connects muscles to bones.
- Ligaments: The part that connects bones to other bones.
Who can get arthritis?
This joint disease targets specific people. However, the factors can be avoided while others cannot. Some of the risk factors for arthritis that increase your risk of developing the disease include:
- Age: The older you get, the more likely you are to develop arthritis because your joints become tired, and most of the parts like the cartilage start to wear out because of overuse throughout the years.
- Sex: Most arthritis patients are women.
- Lifestyle: Failure to live an active lifestyle that incorporates regular exercise and joint movement may cause weakened bones leading to inflammation.
- Weight: Obese patients put a lot of stress on the joints causing the development of arthritis.
What are the symptoms of arthritis?
Although most times the symptoms are specific to disease type, some are common amongst all arthritis patients. For example:
Once you visit the health facility with any of the symptoms mentioned above, your doctor will conduct imaging tests to understand your condition’s root cause and severity to develop an appropriate treatment plan for you.
What is the best treatment option for arthritis?
Most doctors recommend the use of medications like over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain-reliving drugs to reduce the symptoms. However, the effects of degenerative arthritis are irreversible. Physical therapy can also help enhance joint mobility by improving strength. Contact Elite Physical Medicine to learn more about arthritis and determine which treatment is appropriate for your condition to get you back on your feet.