Although most people take diarrhea lightly, it is a dangerous condition that even leads to death if not handled in time. In most developing countries, this ailment is one of the most common causes of infants death. The primary cause of diarrhea is poor hygiene, the other factors being less severe. For you to contain and prevent the condition, Cypress diarrhea specialists at GastroDoxs are dedicated to ending the discomfort and inconvenience caused by the ailment and restore your everyday life.
At GastroDoxs, Dr. Bharat Pothuri and the team undertake several measures to control and drive away from the discomfort of diarrhea. The team will examine and identify the cause of your condition by conducting tests and then formulate your treatment plan. If you want to regain your optimal health, book or call them today to schedule an appointment. Learn more about diarrhea below:
What Is Diarrhea?
Diarrhea is an illness characterized by loose and watery stool. The majority of people have experienced it at some point. Diarrhea that occurs abruptly and ceases after a few weeks is known as acute diarrhea. It usually stops on its own. Diarrhea that lasts more than a month is termed chronic diarrhea. For chronic diarrhea, the patient is advised to seek medical attention.
What Causes Diarrhea?
Diarrhea is caused by a variety of factors which include:
- Through infections which are passed from person to person or from consuming contaminated food or water.
- Removal of the gallbladder can increase bile in the colon resulting in watery stools.
- Hormonal disorders including adrenal disease.
- Medications; several medicines can cause diarrhea, with the most common being laxatives, digitalis diuretics, antibiotics, chemotherapy drugs, cholesterol-lowering agents, lithium, theophylline, and thyroid hormones.
- Too much caffeine or alcohol.
- Certain rare tumors, like a carcinoid.
- Inflammatory bowel disease.
- Blocked arteries can cause ischemic bowel disease.
- Traveling to different geographical areas can also result in diarrhea.
- Radiation therapy for cancer.
- Children who attend daycare, and their families, will typically be more likely to get these types of infections.
- Toxins such as insecticides can cause diarrhea.
- A digestive problem that includes lactose intolerance.
When Should You Seek Medical Attention?
You are advised to see a specialist if:
- Your diarrhea becomes bloody, which is a sign of dysentery.
- Your diarrhea lasts for more than two weeks.
- You develop fever, abdominal pain, or oral hydration.
- You experience unexplained weight loss.
How Do I Get Relief?
At GastroDoxs, Dr. Pothuri performs a comprehensive exam which may include stool screening to determine the cause of your diarrhea; he then creates a customized treatment plan to cater to your particular needs. Dehydration is treated by intake of water, and if it is severe, intravenous hydration is recommended. If the diarrhea was a result of medication, an adjustment to the prescription is made.
Improve your comfort as you carry out your daily activities by being treated at GastroDoxs if you are experiencing discomfort due to a diarrhea problem. Schedule an appointment online.